Complaint / Compliment Form

The quality of the relationship between the community and the Houma Police Department determines the level of cooperation and support required for effective and equitable law enforcement.

The Houma Police Department is committed to providing the highest quality of police services by empowering our members and the community to work in partnership with the goal of improving the quality of life within the City of Houma, while at the same time maintaining respect for individual rights and human dignity.

Citizen’s compliments and complaints assist the department in evaluating the quality of service provided to the citizens of Houma.

This page is designed to clarify some of the rights you as a citizen have if you want to make a legitimate complaint against a Houma Police Department employee.

The Houma Police Department acknowledges its responsibility to the citizens of Houma by establishing a system of complaint and disciplinary action when improper conduct is evident but will also protect its employees when they properly discharge their duties.

Together, we can make a difference. We are committed to providing the highest quality of law enforcement service to the citizens of Houma.


How do I initiate a compliment or a complaint against an employee?
Both may be made by telephone, letter, in person, or by filling out this form and submitting it to the Houma Police Department (with any information you would like to provide). Complaints may be filed 24 hours a day with the on-duty supervisor or during regular hours with the Office of Internal Affairs. All complaints, including anonymous complaints, will be accepted.

Must I give my name to file a complaint?
No. However, an anonymous complaint can be very difficult to investigate. During the course of the investigation, additional information may be required from you to ensure a successful conclusion.

How long will the investigation take?
Minor complaints are often handled immediately. As a general rule, the investigation of a serious charge should be concluded within 30 days, unless circumstances necessitate additional time.

Will I be notified of the results of my complaint/compliment?
Yes, either in writing for serious complaints or by telephone.

Who may recommend a commendation?
Just as in the complaint process, a commendation for a job well done may be made by anyone.

If I have any questions or would like further assistance, who can I call?
Please contact the Houma Police Department Professional Standards Unit, (985) 873-6371.

Remember ...
The quality of relations between citizens and their law enforcement agency depends not only on reporting misconduct, but on acknowledging a job well done.